We are seeking a Mechatronics Lead Engineer with a desire to make their mark within a rapidly growing start-up business unit within an established PLC company.
The unit's mission is to drive the expansion of AB Dynamics' world-leading solutions into new markets both in the UK and internationally.
As a mechatronics lead engineer, you will be responsible for development and integration of Electrical, Electronics and Mechanical components delivering agile solution based on customer needs, internal requirements, and business strategies. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to develop retrofit autonomous solutions from the design to the final product. Duties will include, leading the design, build, commission and test of intelligent automation systems.
This position would suit a Mechatronics Engineer with a solid background in Product development, Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, and looking to further progress their career into a senior role at the forefront of the automation sector. This is a hands-on role. Working within a new start-up entity with the AB Dynamics Group the breadth and depth of this role will develop as the business grows offering fantastic personal development opportunities.
- Design, develop and test mechanical, electrical, electronic, and electromechanical systems.
- Integrating products with motor driven linear actuators for precision positioning.
- Responsible for the delivery of mechatronics engineering solutions for autonomous driverless products.
- Working with the Technical Director, engineering leads and partners to develop and execute the product development strategy for ABD Solutions.
- Knowledge of the product design and development processes with practical experience in multiple phases of the HW lifecycle: requirements, design, development, integration, and validation/verification.
- Develop and test product validation and verification of new and existing products, as well as the creation of supporting documentation (including installation, operating procedures, quality control procedures, test procedures and validation/ verification plans).
- Developing hardware and software interfaces for modules.
- Approval of electronics/electrical designs through design to manufacture.
- Designing of a wide range of RF, low voltage analogue and digital electronic assemblies.
- Design and integrate circuits/enclosures to the Low Voltage Directive, EMC directive & Machinery Directive ensuring compliance to automotive standards.
- Creation of detailed, accurate technical data packages including part and system CAD models, part drawings, assembly drawings and bills of material.
- Review input specifications, coordinate various design reviews and design output reviews.
- Competent in generating technical documents, specifications, and design documents. Lead team in generating the supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other).
- Hands-on role responsible for both the line management of a team, external design partners as well as acting as a technical lead on several new R&D projects.
- Interface with the customer for the Mechatronic subjects of the project, break down and cascade internally customer requests and needs.
- Participation in the implementation of analysis techniques, such as hazard, problem and decision analyses as well as development analyses, such as FMEA, QFD, value analyses.
- Day-to-day integration and management of technical resources assigned to a specific project to deliver a product that meets the customer’s / products owner’s requirements.
- Complete complex design activities within allotted timescales and with high efficiency, ensuring designs are compliant with correct design files.
- Ability to handle and solve complex issues in systematic and creative ways.
- Track and Trend technical performance of the product in the field.
- Effective capture and analysis of customer and system level requirements.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- 5-10 years of industry experience working on real-world autonomous vehicle systems.
- Bachelor's or Master’s in Mechatronics engineering or equivalent with focus on robotics and autonomous systems.
- Extensive experience in robotics, electro/mechanical systems, and autonomous systems.
- Communication technologies such as Ethernet TCP/IP, I2C, CAN, UART.
- Ability to design electrical circuits/enclosures to the Low Voltage Directive, EMC directive & Machinery Directive ensuring compliance to automotive standards.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for example EN 60204-1, BS EN ISO 13849-2, BS EN 14118, BS EN 14119 & BS EN ISO 14120, EMC, CE, and RoHS requirements.
- Knowledge of CE and regulatory compliance.
- Skilled to mentor and lead other engineers, Team-oriented collaborative working style’.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines with attention to detail and follow up with minimal supervision.
- Experience in external customer engagement.
- Experience of “best practice” from large Corporations but able to apply this in an SME, entrepreneurial & fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills with the ability to build trust with clients and a commitment to exceptional client experience.
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet deadlines, work autonomously and as part of a Team and who is and eager to solve complex technical challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills with ability to manage multi-work streams.
- Excellent creative and strategic thinking capabilities.
- Ability to provide mentoring and coaching to reporting resources when required.
- Able to interface & network across the Company, including international locations and customers.
- Security cleared or able to achieve SC vetting.
We are an innovative, dynamic company in one of the most interesting areas of automotive engineering. There are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills and experience at AB Dynamics. In addition, we offer a friendly and supportive working environment along with highly competitive salaries, an additional discretionary company bonus and an attractive benefits package, including 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), private healthcare and company pension contributions.
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We do not discriminate against staff based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply for this vacancy, please email your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org