rFpro is a member of the AB Dynamics plc group of companies. We provide engineering-grade driving simulation software, enabling our customers to develop vehicles, systems and components safely and efficiently. We serve the motorsports and automotive industries, playing a key role in the latter’s highly challenging progression towards automated driving.
Our automotive customers are the world’s largest car manufacturers, tier one suppliers and sensor developers. In motorsport we are the market leader of professional driver-in-the-loop simulator software. The champions of every leading professional motorsport category are our customers – in the USA, Europe, UK, Japan & Australia.
rFpro’s global teams are passionate about their work. They are motivated to share their expertise across the business, contributing to this dynamic industry. Supported by a friendly, progressive and inclusive culture, individuals benefit from true flexible working, combining remote and office-based locations to enhance work-life balance as well as productivity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Software Developer uses their technical knowledge and expertise, along with their problem solving, to manage the development tools used by our internal teams to deliver the rFpro engineering content to the customer.
The digital model engineering content is the combination of the road surface models (HD Surfaces) and the functional network descriptions (OpenDrive, SUMO, IPG Road5). These sit alongside the 3D graphical models that are produced and owned by the Art Team. The combination of all these things forms the core of the content products that rFpro delivers to its customers. High levels of quality control of these products are an essential part of the team’s activities.
The Software Developer will continuously develop and maintain the Content Engineering Team tools to enable the team to work efficiently with extremely large datasets and complex 3D models.
The Content Engineering Team take data delivered in its raw form (LiDAR surveys, CAD data, Photos, Videos etc) and analyse, process, and deliver ordered datasets ready for the Art Team to use. The team later take the 3D models that the Art Team deliver and produce the engineering grade surfaces and ensure the QC process is followed. The team also produce the additional functional road network descriptions for the public road models to allow for real time traffic simulations and experiments.
The Software Developer will be expected to become highly familiar with the needs of all members of the Content Engineering Team and Art Team, how they use the existing toolset and will spend a significant proportion of their time advancing the tools to allow members of the team to complete their roles. The tools are a combination of in-house written and purchased tools that are used as part of the production process. The aim of the role is to improve functionality, flexibility, and efficiency in producing and maintaining the engineering content of the rFpro digital models.
The Software Developer is likely to need to be the first development user of any new functionality and then work with the Content Engineering Team to hand over these new features and production capability to members of the Team with clear instructions and operating procedures.
The Content Engineering Team have a sizable IT hardware infrastructure and large data handling and storage needs to support their roles and tasks, so it will be advantageous if the Software Developer can assist the Content Team Leader with the planning and constant improvement of this infrastructure and data storage.
There is scope in this role to also contribute across the company to our customer facing software applications when suitable projects or development tasks are prioritised. There is an open and supportive team ethos between our Content production teams and our customer facing software engineering teams so the right candidate could contribute significantly to both parts of our software developments. The software engineering team has a large amount of experience in multiple languages to offer support and technical guidance to the Software Developer when required.
- Meeting with the Content Engineering Team, Art Team and Sales/Support Teams to understand and plan the software tools maintenance and development needs.
- Maintaining and developing existing software tools for:
- LiDAR data processing & handling
- Engineering surfacing of drivable ground surfaces
- Validation of drivable surfaces
- 3D visualisation of LiDAR survey data
- HD surface generation for rFpro real-time software
- HD surface generation in industry standard formats
- Road Network production – in OpenDrive, SUMO and IPG Road5 formats
- Quality Control of graphical content and HD surface products before customer delivery
- Future needs and requests of customers and internal team
- Production of newly emerging content capability (e.g OpenDrive and Road5 road networks) and aiming to transition this capability into Content Engineering Team members when the tools are matured
- Working on customer facing software developments when the task and project opportunities arise as part of our Agile software development cycle.
As the company expands and grows, there will be future developments and additions to these activities. These are expected to be embraced by the Software Developer.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- A degree in Software Engineering or similar
- Extensive C# knowledge
- Developing runtime efficient applications for computationally intensive tasks
- Ability to learn/operate/understand smaller existing code routines in C++, Python and MATLAB
- Ability to understand and translate mathematical formulas into application routines
- Mesh geometry creation / surfacing routines
- Planning and managing large volume data handling and processing
- Rhino and it’s plugin architecture
- 3DS-Max scripts
- OpenDrive, SUMO and/or IPG Road5 Road Network usage or creation
- Working with internal colleagues to deliver operational tools
The primary locations for this role will be split between home-based working and our engineering office in Romsey, Hampshire. It is envisaged that a large proportion of the role will be able to accommodate home working (if desired), with office working days used for interacting with the Content Engineering Team to explore their tool needs, testing and deployment of new tools into the production cycle.
We offer a highly competitive benefits package. We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We do not discriminate against staff based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply for this vacancy, please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com