Location: AB Dynamics, Bradford on Avon UK
ABOUT AB Dynamics
AB Dynamics is one of the world’s leading specialists in automotive test systems, supplying a range of advanced solutions including driving robots, ADAS soft crash targets and driving simulators to all major vehicle manufacturers and Tier 1 suppliers globally. The company's unique technology is used for many applications including the development of autonomous vehicles.
Working within a small electrical and electronic design team, you will help develop technologically complex, high-value products from conception through to production. These projects will often involve a multi-disciplinary team of Mechanical, Electrical, Software and Project Engineers. You will work predominantly on the integration of motors and drives into our products that are supplied to OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers for their automotive development efforts.
- Research, develop and maintain all aspects of the integration of motors and drives in our products. Maintain our knowledge base of all our integrated motor and drive pairing solutions of which we use many e.g., Maccon, Maxon, Allied Motion, Parker, Akribis, etc. and Elmo, Beckhoff, Servotronics, etc.
- Develop custom solutions for products, manufacturing, and test/commissioning. This will include motor design/selection, drive selection, drive programming, PLC programming, electrical motor/drive integration drawings, electronic PCB design for integration of drives, etc.
- Work with Suppliers and ABD’s Manufacturing, Test and Commissioning departments to source, manufacture and deliver our products.
- Prepare and submit documentation for Engineering Releases including – engineering calculations, detailed drawings, parts lists, test reports, regulatory compliance (risk assessments, LVD, EMC, etc.), build manuals, installation manuals, etc.
- Support our global customers using AB Dynamics’ products in the field. Collaborate with them to develop solutions and new product ideas for their automotive R&D capabilities.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree qualified in an Electrical Engineering discipline, although exceptional candidates with relevant experience only and/or HND qualifications only will be considered.
- 3-5 years of motor/amplifier/drive calculations, selection, design, and integration experience, although exceptional candidates with practical experience and a willingness to learn design will be considered.
- A flexibility and a desire to learn to transition designs to new ECAD tools (Easy-PC -> Pulsonix, AutoCAD LT -> EPLAN, AutoCAD LT -> Siemens NX), and to learn our ERP system (IFS).
- Ability to (or willingness to learn to) undertake all regulatory compliance including risk assessments, LVD, EMC, etc.
- A passion for design with good analytical skills and the ability to liaise across engineering disciplines. Creativity and a determination to succeed are key attributes for this role.
- Able to manage multi-work streams and prioritize multiple demands with a flexible approach.
- Willing to undertake occasional travel if required, including internationally.
- Motion Control and PLC experience.
- Electrical CAD design experience gained in an R&D equipment context.
- Electronic PCB design experience gained in an R&D equipment context.
We are an innovative, dynamic company in one of the most interesting areas of automotive engineering. There are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills and experience at AB Dynamics. In addition, we offer a friendly and supportive working environment along with highly competitive salaries, an additional discretionary company bonus and an attractive benefits package, including 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), private healthcare and company pension contributions.
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We do not discriminate against staff based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply for this vacancy, please email your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org