We are looking for an experienced Principal Software engineer with a desire to make their mark within a rapidly growing start-up business unit within an established PLC company.
The unit's mission is to drive the expansion of AB Dynamics' world-leading solutions into new markets both in the UK and internationally.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering you will be expected to support the design, build, commission, and test of one or more keys areas of an intelligent automation system (prototype and production) in line with the defined strategy.
In this hands-on role, you'll be working with a rapidly growing team and we are looking for candidates with a strong technical skill set. As you will be working primarily with sensor integration and robotics systems you must be able to take technical concepts, describe them to the clients and stakeholders as well as design system architectures and prototypes.
Working within a new start-up entity with the AB Dynamics Group, the breadth and depth of this role will develop as the business grows offering fantastic personal development opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generation of key project and strategic initiatives, including new project ideas in alignment with the defined strategy
- Customer and partner liaison in large collaborative projects to ensure requirements capture, project delivery, overall project direction
- Design, implementation and test of new algorithms in areas from mapping and navigation to perception
- Development of autonomy solutions integrating e.g., Camera, RADAR, LIDAR and GPS utilising data fusion techniques
- Application of modern SW engineering practice through design, implementation, test and deployment
- Produce specification and design documents for the software and system
- Track and Trend technical performance of the product in the field
- Generation of Validation and Verification plans whilst ensuring subsequent execution
- Clear reporting to all stakeholders
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- 5-10 years of industry experience working on real-world autonomous vehicle systems or robotics systems
- Experience developing software solutions in autonomous vehicles – driving robotics and sensor integration
- Ability to handle and solve complex issues in systematic and creative ways
- Firm understanding of autonomy principles and can apply techniques to typical autonomous vehicle system applications.
- Bachelor's or Master’s in software engineering, computer science, mechatronics or equivalent. Advantageous with focus on robotics and autonomous systems
- Experience in automated system integration environment
- Experience working on System Integration, Sensor Fusion, Object Detection, Multi-target Tracking, Localization, and Mapping
- Strong programming skills in ROS software framework and preferably in C++ and Python, in a Linux environment
- Exposure to modelling and simulation design for 3d/robotic environments, preferably one of V-Rep, Gazebo and MATLAB
- Recent experience of delivering multi-disciplinary complex solutions and in line with NPD & NPI methodologies
- Experience in external customer engagement
- Experience of having produced technical reports on engineering topics
- Beneficial to have knowledge of CE and regulatory compliance
- Broad knowledge/awareness/love of technology
- Experience of “best practice” with the ability to apply this in an SME, entrepreneurial & fast paced environment
- Self-starter who can work independently with cross functional teams to develop software, hardware and system requirements Including the effective capture and analysis of customer and system level requirements.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build trust with clients and a commitment to exceptional client experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet deadlines, work autonomously and as part of a Team and who is and eager to solve complex technical challenges
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills with ability to manage multi-work streams
- Excellent creative and strategic thinking capabilities
- Ability to provide mentoring and coaching to reporting resources when required
- Able to interface & network across the Company, including international locations and customers
- Security cleared or able to achieve SC vetting
We are an innovative, dynamic company in one of the most interesting areas of automotive engineering. There are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills and experience at the AB Dynamics Group. In addition, we offer a friendly and supportive working environment along with highly competitive salaries, an additional discretionary company bonus and an attractive benefits package, including 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), private healthcare and company pension contributions.
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We do not discriminate against staff based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter telling us why you feel like you would make a good fit to email@example.com